Thursday, July 28, 2011

Meatballs of the Swedes

   Another delightful cuisine choice from my cousin Natalie...When I set out to make the balls I had little confidence that they would turn out looking as they are supposed to.

*Image stolen from Google

But guess what? I did it! And it was so good, Aaron polished off over 3/4 a pound of meat in the end.

Swedish Meatballs a la Nat

2+ pounds ground sirloin
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 small onion chopped
A sprinkle of Nutmeg
1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley (3 handfuls) chopped (one little "bundle" is just enough)
Freshly ground Black Pepper
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
2 cups Beef Stock
1 TBSP Red Currant or Grape Jelly (eew, I used grape. Red Currant??)
1 cup Heavy Cream or Sour Cream ( I did sour cream, next time I may try heavy cream)
1/2 lb. wide egg noodles
Salt
2 TBSP Butter

   Place ground sirloin in a large mixing bowl and punch a well into the center. Fill the well with the egg, bread crumbs, onion, nutmeg, half of the chopped parsley, and a little salt and pepper. Mix up the meatball ingredients until well combined, yet not over mixed. At this point is where I realized that I methodically do every recipe the same exact way. I am terrified of not having an ingredient mid-cook. It always ends up looking like this.


                                                So OCD, right? Whatever. Go eat a meatball.



   Then go ahead and heat a large and deep non-stick skillet or pan over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 8-10 minutes (original recipe aid 5 minutes, but it took longer for me (surprise, surprise), giving the pan a good shake now and then. I would then recommend drainING some of the "meat juice" from the bottom of the pan. I found int he end it was a bit too oily and was separating.



   Then add the stock, jelly, and heavy cream or sour cream. Bring it up to a bubble, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 8 to 10 more minutes.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the stove top....

   Place a large pot of water on to boil. Add the noodles and season the water with salt. Cook until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain the egg noodles and shake dry. Put the noodles back in the hot pot and add the remaining chopped parsley and the butter and season with salt and pepper. Mmmmmmm. Stir until butter has melted. Top the noodles with the meatballs and their sauce! 



**If sauce isn't thick enough add a little flour. That's what I did and it thickened it right up and it was amazing!** 

                          I LOVE this recipe. I don't know which is better, this bad boy or the Natalie Pot Pie!!


                                                             OK, ice cream social time...
                I'll leave you with my "favorite" new song. "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry.


                                       








                   **All photos personal unless indicated, video courtesy of Youtube**



2 comments:

  1. Nat-meatball maker extraordinaire- BahrJuly 28, 2011 at 3:16 PM

    Recipe stolen from Rachel Ray!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it, I loved it- but my sauce was not very thick (even with extra flour) :(

    ReplyDelete