Monday, November 7, 2011

Blackened Tilapia and Jalapeno slaw

   I've cooked it before. It's been passed down from cousin to cousin (Lies. It's from my cousin Natalie. Though I have given it to a couple friends). I never did pass it on to all of you. I made it for the first time in a while and took some pics to illustrate. Lord knows you don't want a recipe without pics. I like to imagine this one is healthy, so follow along in my fantasty land. I've subbed out some of this stuff for stuff I prefer....or had floating in the house.

  • 2  Tilapia fillets
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup mayo
  • 2 tbsp brown spicy mustard
  • 2 tbsp pickled jalapenos and 1/2 tsp juice from jar
  • 1 tbsp dill pickle juice from jar
  • 2  cups of shredded iceberg lettuce
  • Blackening spice (instructions for that concoction below)

Blackening Spice:

3 tablespoons smoked paprika

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp onion powder

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp cayenne pepper (Natalie says you can also use chili powder. But I prefer the burn.)

1 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp garlic powder


Combine scallions, mayo, mustard, jalapenos, and juice from jalapenos and pickles in a bowl and set aside. Add lettuce to this mixture to make slaw when you are ready to assemble sandwiches. If you add it too early the lettuce will become soggy.

Coat Tilapia fillets with spice mixture and fry in olive oil for about 4 minutes on either side until blackened.

4 comments:

  1. Being one of the friends you "passed it down" to, I can attest that this is SUPER yummy - my husband literally can't get enough of it. After I made it a second time, I caught him scraping the remains out of the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the recipe calls for dill pickle juice from the jar. I was just wondering where else I would get it from? Just teasing. That sounds super yummy

    ReplyDelete